Filmmaker Hansal Mehta commented after a Twitter user called him “a shameless person” for making Faraaz. The upcoming film is based on the 2016 terrorist attack on the Holey Artisan cafe in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The film is a joint production of T-Series and Benaras Media in association with Mahana Films. (Also read | Faraaz trailer: Shashi Kapoor’s grandson Zahaan takes on ‘Islam ke thekedaar’ in Hansal Mehta movie. Watch)
In response to Hansal’s tweet revealing the trailer, the person wrote on Saturday: “You should be ashamed. You are a shameless person. You are exploiting a horrific tragedy for profit without seeking the consent of the victims’ families. Why don’t you make a film about incidents from your own country?”
Hansal shared the link to an article and replied, “Hopefully this piece will give you a chance to get a more balanced perspective on the issue. Please read.” The said article spoke of ‘artistic freedom’, ‘letting sorrow penetrate censorship’ and ‘abolishing culture’. There was also talk of how the attack was related to much “bigger national and global trends.” The film will hit theaters on February 3.
As quoted by PTI news agency, Hansal had said: “Designed as a nerve-racking thriller set in one thrilling night, my attempt with Faraaz was also to shed light on the tremendous courage and humanity it takes to rise against violence. Because standing up against bigotry and the carnage it causes is the only way to defeat it.”
According to the report, Anubhav praised Hansal for doing justice to the story of the catastrophic event that shook the world. “It’s a story about a hero who made a brave choice and celebrates the spirit of a young boy who stood up for his loved ones,” he added.
Faraaz marks the debut of Zahan Kapoor, the grandson of the late Shashi Kapoor. The film also features Aditya Rawal, the son of actors Paresh Rawal and Swaroop Rawal. The film had its world premiere at the 2022 edition of the BFI London Film Festival. Juhi Babbar, Aamir Ali, Sachin Lalwani, Palak Lalwani and Reshham Sahaani also round out the cast of the film.
Earlier this week, following a plea from the relatives of the victims of the terrorist attack against the film’s release, the Delhi High Court asked the parties to sit together to resolve their differences.
The mothers of two victims objected to the film’s planned release on grounds of invasion of privacy. The court noted that the filmmakers would not want the film to “stay in the can,” and said showing the film to the family could end their case, as reported by PTI.